Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back to the ship.

The Equinox is the same as the Eclipse.  It’s insane, but it’s SO the same that it doesn’t even occur to me that I’m in a different place most of the time.  So instead of insane it seems normal, but it’s not.  It’s weird.

 

So to have a place be the same is one thing, but there are things about the people here that are the same too.  Even when they’re different people.  So when I walk through security I’ll think to myself.  “Oh yeah, you’re the friendly one,” or “you’re the one who’s going to scowl at me for no reason this time.”  Less scowling here in general actually than on the Eclipse.  Celebrity seems to recruit different ethnicities for different departments too.   This is not a good thing for breaking down stereotypes.  There are many exceptions, but a lot of the time people look like what they do. 

 

But beyond all of that there are several people that I’ve seen around that replace specific other people in my mind, like, “the spiky haired chick who hangs out at the bar,” and, “the security guy who stands there just like that,” and the one security girl is also strikingly similar.  There are others, but I know that the mind is a sorting machine so the similarities are somewhat manufactured and as I get to know any of these people, the similarities will surely fade, but for now; striking.

 

Just a note here.  This particular paragraph is about a week younger than the paragraph before.  Some people’s similarities fade, in part I believe, because the new people begin to inhabit and take over the places in my memory that the Eclipse people were before, and thus I merge rather than compare.  Sort of like the cuckoo chick pushing the competition out of the nest.  BUT there are some people though that defy differentiation, stubbornly remaining so similar to someone else that they do nothing but remind me of that other person.  I won’t name any names, but when Annette, who I was with on Eclipse, comes aboard next cruise, I will have to ask her for a ruling.

 

The rest of this post will be heavy on pictures, so I can just catch up to current events and not get too bogged down.

 

1st Port.  Sicily, Italy.  City – Messina.

 

Didn’t get off the ship today.  Too much training.  Next time.  Sicily is barely an island.  You could throw a rock and hit it from the mainland.

 

MessinaPanorama

IMG_2030

IMG_2034

 

Second Port.  Piraeus, Greece.  (near Athens)

 

Did just a bit of walking.  Ate a peach.  Good one too.

 

And this is a picture of the most exciting thing that I saw at the port that day.  If you can’t figure out why, you might ask Jon Hiskes.  And Jon, I found a copy of Brief Interviews with Hideous Men in the crew library that I’ve been reading.  And you might note that this ship is no longer branded Celebrity, but someone on the ship told me that this ship used to be Celebrity, so I’m betting that this is the one.

Zenith

ZenithDetail

IMG_2086

 

Third Port.  Kusadasi, Turkey.  (near Ephasus)

 

Well Kusadasi was awesome.  What can I say.  I got a fantastic shave and haircut from Tomas the barber.  He is clearly the best.  I kid you not, it was just like the Bugs Bunny cartoon.  Shampoo, towel, haircut, lather, shave, aftershave, wax the ear hairs, wax the upper cheek, lotion, massage face, rinse whole head, dry, powder, blow dry, massage neck and arms.  Wow.

IMG_2092

IMG_2096

Dylan getting the treatment.

 

Then Tomas sent us across the street for Kebabs.  Second best decision of the day.  The lamb was incredible.  The flatbread was baked to order in their wood fired oven.   It was also Wow.

IMG_2105

Did I mention that my first two new friends’ names on the ship are Brian and Dylan?

 

IMG_2101

Hey look Jon and Celia, Donair!

IMG_2108

IMG_2113

They turned our lawn into a lounge.

 

Port Four.  Rhodes, Greece.

Nice old city.  Acceptable internet.  Lousy service.  How’s that for boiling it down.

IMG_2119

IMG_2124

Yeah, maybe you should expand your horizons.

IMG_2125

IMG_2128

IMG_2130

IMG_2133

 

Port Five.  Santorini.  -  A Big Day.

 

I skipped training and we rented ATV’s.  Nuff Said.

IMG_2138

Do you see the zigzag path going up the cliff?

IMG_2143

 Yeah.  We took the tram.

IMG_2145

Helen.

IMG_2151

 Ian.

IMG_2154

Ryan.

I can barely express what public nuisances we were today.  I can’t believe they put up with this.

IMG_2179

Woah. Fish and Octopus.  Sadly we didn’t eat that.

IMG_2184

This was our super awesome doggy friend.  I think he recognized that we were pack animals and he tried to get us to stay by nipping our ankles, and then he ran beside the ATV’s for a good mile up an incredibly steep hill in the blistering heat.  We loved him.

IMG_2199

Go Dancers!  My friends are so talented!

IMG_2200

IMG_2250

The entirety of the islands around Santorini are part of the crater formed from the largest volcanic eruption the world has ever known.

IMG_2265

There are hardworking donkeys that take people up and down the path.  The others rode.  I probably should have too, but I wanted to walk.

IMG_2268

IMG_2269

The path.

IMG_2272

The end of an epic day.  Best yet.  More to come.

 

Port Six.  Mykonos, Greece.

 

We had to make a conference call to Corning today.  The venue wasn’t so bad though.

IMG_2276

People said this beach was not the best.  It seemed pretty good to me.

IMG_2277

Hi.  We’re calling from the beach.

 

Later on tonight there was a big birthday party for Jason from a-capella.  That was pretty amazing.  It was down in the depths of the ship in crew bar where there’s lots of loud music and dancing.  It reminded me that you hear a lot of techno on the ship, and a lot of Lady Gaga and such.  It pretty much never changes.  Good time though.

 

Port Seven.  Naples, Italy.

 

There are other stories and photos about Naples in the other post, but here’s a little throwback to how I was doing my blog on the Appalachian trail.  This was back on the ship after the port.

IMG_2322

And that was a pretty amazing way to end the first cruise. 

2 comments:

  1. The Zenith! Well done. I'm gonna read Brief Interviews/Hideous Men soon too. We'll have to compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the scooter picture, and also the shout out re donairs. I miss those. You can't get them in Durham. :)

    ReplyDelete